Forestry, Wetlands (Mires & Peatland), Environmental Education in Finland.
This course is now full.
Hosts: Tampere University of Applied Sciences (Eveliina Envall)
Please visit the reports section of this website to read the reports from the NET4 visit in 2018.
NET 5 2022
Topics and learning outcomes
- Nature and environmental education in Finland. The aim is to get acquainted with practices of Finnish nature and environmental education
- Urban forestry. The aim is to understand the meaning of forests as a part of Finnish urban culture
- Education and research of forestry in Finland. The aim is to get acquainted with structure, objectives and content of Finnish forest education and research.
- Finnish forest wildlife, hunting and species management. The aim is to understand how game e.g. elk, beaver, capercaillie and their habitats are managed in Finland.
- Nature and birdlife conservation. The aim is to get know the system of Finnish wildlife and bird protection and especially understand the meaning of the national parks.
- Recreation, nature tourism, food from forests and amenity rights. The aim is to learn and see some examples about recreation, nature entrepreneurship, use and trade of natural resources such as swamps and forest fruits and/ or amenity
- Combining recreation and nature conservation in the National Parks Seitseminen and Helvetinjärvi
- Interaction with private forest owners in implementing forest and nature conservation policy in Finland
- Degree Programme in Forestry in Tampere University of Applied Sciences
This programme will adapt to the participants specific interests. We can include other topics or remove topics in which no-one is interested. This is a sample programme.
- Welcome and Orientation at Tampere University of Applied Sciences (TAMK). Presentations and overview of forestry and environmental engineering degree programmes; Host: staff at TAMK.
- Visit to a woodland nature reserve in Tampere – the Pyynikki Esker (one of the largest such formations worldwide).
- Introduction to game and habitat management at Evo (Hämeenlinna University of Applied Sciences (HAMK)) with visits to nearby forest research sites and wilderness areas at Evo and Laitila. Features of the visit included silvicultural systems, game management, old-growth forest stands, a capercaillie lek area and beaver dam.
- An introduction to nature conservation management at the Pirkanmaa Regional Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment..
- Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station, in Juupajoki (Department of Forest Sciences, University of Helsinki). The focus is long-term research on peatland forestry and conservation; also a short tour of several Scots pine silvicultural trials..
- Farm forestry and eco-tourism at Mäkelä Farm in Jäminkipohja,
- Helvetinjärvi National Park to view peatlands, mires, old growth reserves and gorges.
- Capercaillie lek site followed by Puurijärvi-Isosuo National Park (wetland bird conservation – a Ramsar and Natura 2000 site)
- Visit to an active commercial forestry operation.
- Seiteminen National Park (old growth forest, mires and recreational management). Presentation on Metsähallitus, the Finnish Forest and National Park Service at the National Park visitor centre..
- A cultural day in Tampere.